A Historic Building
And a heart-warming story...
Built in the exclusive area of Claremont Park, the Cherry Blossom Inn was built as a private house by a wealthy wool merchant, Rowland Rawlinson in 1899, just 5 years after Blackpool Tower was completed. Originally called Fairthwaite, it was sold to the Berry family in the 1920s.
The Berry family were themselves big industrialists with links to the Cherry Blossom shoe polish company and bought the house as their seaside home; they renamed it 'Redcliffe' and it remained a private house until around 1948 when it was converted into 'The Redcliffe' Hotel. It retains many of the grand original Victorian features - there are ornate plaster ceilings along with a grand oak panel staircase leading up to the guest rooms.
Features and Views
The events lounge on the first floor has a beautiful restored ceiling and marble pillars. Guests can sit in the “turret” bay window with its panoramic views of the promenade and watch the spectacular sunsets over the Irish Sea or the famous illuminations. The deluxe guest room directly above on the second floor also benefits from the same turret bay window and its sweeping views are probably the best available from any hotel in Blackpool. Johnny Weissmuller (Tarzan) actually stayed here when he came to the Derby Baths in 1949 as the star of the 'Water Follies' show and was enthralled by the view.
In 1990 the hotel underwent major refurbishment and was re-opened as the Cherry Blossom Hotel, which is now the Cherry Blossom Inn. Downstairs there is a large public bar area with original feature fireplaces where guests can sit and enjoy their favourite tipple while watching the trams glide past, or on a stormy day, can watch the waves from the Irish Sea lash the promenade.
Don't expect to walk into a modern hotel, we try to maintain the Victorian charm and character of this building. The rooms are however comfortable and warm with modern double glazing, decor and facilities. All are en-suite and most have fantastic sea views.
The owners named the ground floor bar '1897'. which is the year the plans were drawn up for this building. They were astonished to find a package containing all of the original plans and deeds hidden in the under-croft of the building - now displayed in the 1897 Bar for everyone to toast!
The 'story of Cherry'
If you do visit us, please do look around the building to see if you can find our picture frames which contain the charming 'story of Cherry'.